5 Reasons to go for Lithium-ion Batteries
Do you like interruptions while you enjoy your movie or are busy working on your computer? NO! We HATE INTERRUPTIONS! this is what you might answer!
To avoid interruption and high energy bills, we have a fleet of solutions which are broadly called storage systems. All of them feature battery backup, and some of them feature solar energy as well. Storage systems with solar are known as hybrid solar energy systems, where you get to save your energy bills while consuming electricity without interruption in an eco-friendly way.
But how do you get a continuous energy supply with a hybrid solar energy system?
It is the BATTERY(energy storage system) affixed to the solar panels and grid that maintains power regardless of the weather condition and grid failure.
Although many rechargeable batteries are available in the market today, lithium-ion batteries(Li-ion) have made a name for themselves in the market due to their high performance and long lifespan.
The lithium-ion batteries in combination with renewable energy have a great potential to cater for the energy requirement of the people and reduce grid dependence.
But do you know the fact?
Lithium-ion batteries claim to be top-notch reliable and durable batteries but it is true only if they are handled with proper management. We at SunEdison, before dispatching the batteries, perform a complete quality check of the cell and battery to make sure it is in good condition.
Advantages of Lithium-ion batteries?
- Higher Depth of Discharge (DoD): Depth of discharge is the amount of the stored energy in the battery that has been used, as compared to the total capacity of the battery. DoD for a lithium battery is 90-95% whereas for a lead acid battery is around 50-80%. This means that the Li-ion battery’s actual energy capacity is closer to the nameplate value of its energy capacity.
- Higher energy density: Battery energy density refers to how much power a battery can hold concerning its physical size. In homes with limited space, lithium-ion batteries are a great option since they are space-saving (taking only 20-30% of the space) and store more power than lead-acid batteries per square foot.
- Less Maintenance: Lithium-ion solar batteries do not require as much maintenance as lead-acid batteries. SunEdison’s batteries also have WiFi-based monitoring which makes it easier to monitor the systems through the app.
- Battery Lifespan: These batteries are long-lasting due to their high DoD and minimal charging and recharging requirements. SunEdison’s Lithium-ion batteries have a minimum warranty lifespan of about 10 years. If we assume 1 cycle/day then the lithium-ion batteries have a lifespan of around 17 years.
- Higher Efficiency: Compared to other types of batteries on the market, lithium-ion batteries have a round-trip efficiency greater than 95%.
Are lithium-ion solar batteries for residential users?
In general, lithium-ion solar batteries are the best solar energy storage system for everyday residential use because they take up little space while storing a substantial amount of energy. They also have a sleek IP55 enclosure and do not have exposed wiring, making the system safer.
Furthermore, their high DoD allows you to store more energy.
The long life of lithium-ion batteries means that the battery won’t need to be replaced as often as a lead acid battery. They also allow you to extract, store and release more energy (from your solar panels) due to their higher efficiency. With a lithium battery connected to your on-grid or off-grid solar energy system, you can get a continuous power supply.
Do you know LFP (lithium iron phosphate) batteries are more reliable than simple Li-ion batteries?
LFP batteries are a type of lithium-ion battery with very stable chemistry. LFP batteries consist of lithium iron phosphate as a cathode that gives the battery a longer life span with zero maintenance. Additionally, the LFP batteries don’t release any toxic or dangerous gases during charging or discharging and have better thermal management.
When it comes to safety and hot regions, LFP batteries are the best option.
Our SunEdison LFP batteries require zero maintenance and come with a 10-year product warranty on the battery.
In case you want an uninterrupted power supply with safety as a priority while reducing your electricity bills in an environmentally friendly way, then Contact us. Today!
Our technical team will be happy to help you get the right solar energy system for your location.